Product Details
- Product Dimensions: 9 x 14 x 16.2 inches ; 16 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 21 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Shipping: This item is also available for shipping to select countries outside the U.S.
- Shipping Advisory: This item must be shipped separately from other items in your order. Additional shipping charges will not apply.
- ASIN: B005I710MW
- Item model number: BDC600XL
By : Breville
Price : $279.95
You Save : $70.04 (20%)

Product Description
The first coffee maker that tailors the brew for a cup, travel mug or carafe. The culmination of over 5 years of research into coffee and coffee lovers, the YouBrew navigates all the variables that make your perfect cup.Customize your brew strength with 7 settings that increase the amount of ground coffee, as well as your flavor profile with 5 settings that vary the steeping time of the coffee and water. The integrated burr grinder then grinds your choice of beans to the optimal size just prior to brewing for maximum freshness, flavor and aroma. The unique BrewIQ System ensures the right amount of coffee is dosed with the right amount of water while heating the water to the optimum temperature; then gives you the flexibility to brew directly into your favorite cup, travel mug or the included thermal carafe for weekend entertaining.A top-fill water tank ensures easy filling and a swing-out door allows for convenient access to the removable coffee basket for cleaning. Coffee basket includes a gold-tone filter and is also paper filter compatible.The YouBrew is made with BPA Free Materials.
Breville BDC600XL YouBrew Drip Coffee Maker
Product Features
- Brewing system doses the right amount of coffee with the right amount of water while heating water to the optimum temperature
- Built-in 0.5-lb bean hopper and integrated burr grinder
- Carafe' setting with brew pause feature and makes up to 12 cups of coffee
- Single Cup' setting from regular to extra-large cup size
- Adjustable strength settings

Customer Reviews
We can all agree on what's really lousy coffee (from army mess to a couple of high-end places where servers are called "baristas"), but what's really a great cup of coffee is a matter of conjecture, the qualioty of the beans, and what we're accustomed to. I'm no connoisseur: I know what I like; rich, a little strong, and with cream.
The Breville You Brew is nicely designed, takes a little thought, and makes a decent cup of coffee, but nothing comparable to that really good coffee one gets at a FINE restaurant (the Ritz-Carlton comes to mind). After playing with it and making everything from one cup to a travel mug to a full carafe, the end product is no better than what my Cuisinart and premium [Dillanos]coffee puts out.
I think what this boils down to - to use a very appropriate phrase - is the coffee. My wife and I think Caribou and Starbucks are bitter even though the pres. of Starbucks says that there's no bitterness in coffee, period. Still, I think it's important that the reader knows this because it will give a point of reference. Knowing that, here are the pros and cons as I see them in the Breville YouBrew.
Design and Pros:
Easy to Use - Don't let the "panel" with all the options put you off. The You Brew is well designed, actually very easy to use, and does everything but drink the coffee for you.
Make a Mug or a Carafe Full - You can make a mug or carafe-full.
Use Ground or Beans - You can grind your own beans or use pre-ground.
Fill the Reservoir with Water, and It Knows How Much to Use, and Pre-Heats before it brews - You can fill the reservoir with water the night before and have the thing go off at 6 AM, and it will pre-heat the water before it starts brewing. The folks at Breville even thought of making sure that the steam that's generated during the making of the coffee doesn't go back into the bean reservoir.
The machine will use just the water it needs for whatever you tell it to brew, and you can fill it more easily than many machines because the water reservoir is in the middle top of the machine, though the machine is quite tall.
Insulated Carafe - The carafe is heated and keeps the coffee at a decent temperature for several hours, but not the whole day as some have said. You can indeed take the carafe out and pour yourself a cup while it's brewing without any leakage (our Cuisinart leaks badly when you try that).
Good Coffee By The Mug - Disregarding making a carafe-full for the time being, individual cups and travel mugs produce the most uniform and best coffee. The water to grounds ratio seems to be best for the mug.
Easy to Clean - Last, it's easy to clean.
Neither Pro Nor Con or Both: I loved the fact that this is an insulated carafe, and that it does keep the coffee warm for several hours. However, I prefer a glass carafe because I want to know how much coffee is left without having to guess. It's too bad that there isn't a see-thru level on the side.
Cons:
It's Huge and DOES Make a Difference (See Uploaded Photos Out of the Box) - Again, this thing is huge, and at 16 inches is 3 inches taller than our old Cuisinart. My wife who is just a tad under 5 feet, has to stand on a step stool to fill it with water. Counter height is normally around 36" which makes the reservoir 52" off the ground, and don't forget that the brewer is not at the edge of the counter, but pushed back. I'm 6'2" (yeah, you should see our wedding pictures), and even I have some difficulty in reaching up and over.
Can't See If Any Coffee Is Left (a BIG deal) - The carafe has no indicator to tell you how much coffee is left. This has become a much bigger issue after using it for several weeks. Just when you want a cup, it turns out that somebody's left it empty ... again. Glass carafes might not keep coffee warm for as long a period, but I MUCH prefer glass.
Noisy - The grinder is REALLY noisy, and that's important if one person is up at 5 or 6 and the other still in bed. And yes, it is loud enough to wake somebody up!
Is Not Uniformly Hot - The coffee isn't uniformly hot, and seem to be cooler than what our other pots have produced. That can be an issue if you do use cream/milk which will make it even cooler. It's not important to me during my "ice coffee season" which is about ... always, but I do like a hot cup of coffee at breakfast. YouBrew is best for the first few cups while our Krups and Cuisinart were much too strong until the carafe was half full.
Pricey - Even at this hefty price, I'm not sure that Breville uses copper heating coils. (I think that Technivorm is the only one that does.)
Consistency - Because it's freshly ground coffee, one would think it would be stronger, but it isn't and I haven't found a way to override the amount of water or coffee that's used. I have found that pre-ground coffee is stronger which is a surprise.
Summary: I do like the design, but at times I wonder why I would want to go through the decision-making and choice selection process. I've been making coffee by the pot for over 50 years: maybe I'm just not enough of a snob. I have wondered if Green Mountain - those folk that bring you the one-cup serving container at a high profit margin - isn't talking many people into the cup-at-a-time rather than the carafe because that's where the money is (and I see that Gevalia and Starbucks are joining forces).
I like the design, but more from an engineering point of view much more than aesthetically. It's really too big to be beautiful ... even in the largest kitchen. That it's stainless is only a concern when you have stainless appliances.
The coffee is good, but not fantastic. Again, I emphasize that it's still a matter of taste. On the one hand, you can't go wrong. On the other, there are French drip pots for a quarter the price that can produce some really great cups of coffee. America's Test Kitchen still prefers the French drip, but then, who's to say they have the same criteria and taste buds as mine.
While many would say that, for a good cup of coffee, price shouldn't be a consideration. Who are these people? This is a very expensive brewer, and for this kind of money, I really would expect the best cup of coffee.
[I used to teach management principles and psychology, and everyone whose ever been in my seminars knows that one of my two principles is, Satisfaction is a function of Rewards Over Expectations. For the price, I think that most would EXPECT a great cup of coffee. If this was $79, the coffee might be thought to be better. Subjectivity does indeed play a role. The other principle...well, I'll save that for another review unless you want to email me.]
EW
My 3 year old Cuisinart DGB-700 coffee maker just died this weekend, and although we loved the coffee that the machine produced, we wanted to give another brand a try. After reading reviews on this and other sites for the Breville, I was skeptical that this machine would be a good replacement, but my wife fell in love with it at one of the local stores so we took the plunge and purchased it.
And I am happy we did! This machine is a fantastic coffee maker that seems to have thought of everything!
Here's some highlights--
The water resevoir can be kept full, because the machine will only use the amount of water that is necessary to brew.
The machine alerts you when the filter needs to be changed (very useful when my wife makes coffee in the morning for work, but she doesn't dump the filter).
You can manually adjust the strength and flavor of the coffee independently for the perfect cup. The strength setting controls the amount of coffee used, and the flavor setting adjusts the amount of steeping of the grind.
There are multiple single cup settings to get the perfect amount of coffee for your cup.
Cons-
It is a big machine, and my wife who is 5'2 has to stand on her toes to see the amount of beans left in the hopper.
The setting to adjust the single cup size, is a scale that goes from 1-9, but that scale corresponds to different fluid levels. For example, level 1 is 7.5 oz and level 4 is 12.5oz. We have to refer to the chart in the manual to make the conversion. It would have been easier if the machine spoke in ounces instead of an arbitrary scale.
Oh, a few reviews mentioned that the coffee was not hot. Well that is not the case at all.
I brewed a batch into the thermal carafe, and the temp in the carafe was 181 degrees, and that was without warming the carafe first. When I brewed the coffee into a ceramic mug (also not pre-heated), the brew was 162 degrees in the cup and it was plenty hot and not bitter.
Breville BDC600XL YouBrew Drip Coffee Maker


0 comments:
Post a Comment